The Nightingale (or Leawood) Arm of the Cromford Canal in Derbyshire was built by Peter Nightingale (the great-uncle of Florence) to reach his cotton mills and lead smelters . The canal arm, which opened in 1802, reached Lea Wharf, later extending to Lea Mills before being cut back due to disputes over water rights. The arm was in use up into the 1930s but fell into disuse and was closed like the rest of the canal during the Second World War.
At the junction of the arm and main canal stands Aqueduct Cottage built for the lockkeeper who looked after the lock at the entrance to the arm. The cottage was lived in until 1970  but as an unoccupied building has sadly fallen victim to neglect and vandalism and is now a ruin.
 Hugh Potter, The Cromford Canal (Tempus, 2003) p. 106
 Ibid. p. 27