Monday 26 September 2016

Buses I Have Known (5) : Leyland Atlantean

The Atlantean was the pioneer rear engined bus that predated the Fleetline and Metrobus earlier in this series. It was in production from 1958 to 1986 and its no surprise that over 15,000 were built and served in the UK and all over the world (including Baghdad). However my only memories of the Atlantean are with North Birmingham Busways.

They were a small independent bus operator in the 1990s and early 2000s based in Erdington, in fact their garage was on Wood Lane so not very far from where i live. For most of the life of the company before they were bought up their fleet consisted of second-hand Leyland Atlanteans (ex-Blackpool i think or somewhere else up north anyway).

I didn't have chance to use their buses much but on a couple of occasions when i was working at BCU (and before i learnt to drive) i was able, while waiting for my usual Number 11, to catch a passing school service which was returning to the garage (and hence virtually took me home). Now that was great, a bus to myself (with the driver of course) with no other stops!
Buses at the Wood Lane garage