After the end of World War 2 Birmingham needed new houses to replace the bombed out suburbs and Shard End was changed from rural farmland to a new housing estate as a result in the late 1940s. The new suburb of Birmingham needed a church and All Saints' was built in the mid-1950s to serve the new community. The new church was consecrated in 1955.
The church was designed by local architect FJ Osbourne and was the first new church built in Birmingham in the post-war period. The church has a modern and fairly striking design if maybe not as pretty as churches from earlier centuries. A statue of Christ, sculpted by William Bloye, was installed above the main entrance.
Personal note: the author's parents were married here!