Wednesday 21 June 2017

The 70s house

Scanning a few old photographs yesterday i came upon this one taken in the first house i lived in, in Crosby. I was only a baby at the time so the photograph was likely taken sometime in 1972 or perhaps early 1973. What is most interesting about the photograph is probably what is missing. There seems to be a total absence of technology though there was probably was a TV out of shot. Nowadays a photo of your living room would include remote controls, mobile phones, consoles, DVDs and other paraphernalia. Back in the early 1970s you might have a TV and little else, maybe a hi-fi or a radio. The telephone would usually be in the hall, on its own little table.

Other than that the room is quite familiar and probably trendily retro these days. I wonder how the living room will change in another 40 years time. Its interesting how much has changed though some items in the photo have survived all these years, the painting on the wall for example is right behind me on my own bedroom wall now as i type this! I know my Mum still has some of the ornaments.