Thursday 21 September 2017

When i ran up a volcano

I recently found a couple of old photographs from my visit to Mount Bromo, an active volcano in East Java. I went there in 1999 back in my late 20s when i did a lot of travelling to Asia. The photos were taken with my PRAKTICA SLR camera, 35mm film of course. Back then when you took a photo you had no idea if it would turn out or not for days, weeks even months later when you got your photos developed! I do prefer the digital days to be honest.

I always remember approaching the volcano at dawn. There was a thick mist over the ash plain around the volcano cone and then a group of riders appeared out of the gloom. It was like being in a post-apocalypse movie! Later that day i actually ran up the cone of the volcano to the lip. I was a lot fitter in those days obviously.