Wednesday 30 January 2019

The biggest spreadsheet software collection

Some time ago I blogged about Visicalc the first spreadsheet program. I'm sure Ariel Fischman, who has won a Guinness World Record for the largest collection of spreadsheet software, has plenty of copies of Visicalc! Its a very unusual thing to collect for sure but very cool I think. Ariel has over eight hundred separate programs in his collection including over forty different versions of Microsoft Multiplan alone (their first spreadsheet before Excel - which interestingly began life as a Macintosh application).

These days I use Apple Numbers and Google's web spreadsheet program. I've always been a heavy user of the application, years ago I bought Borland Quattro Pro and still have the install floppy disks. Though it's been a long time since I've owned a PC and especially one with a floppy disk drive! My first spreadsheet program I used was (I think) a version of Supercalc which came with the Amstrad PC1640. We may have had a spreadsheet program for the BBC Micro though I can't recall. The mid-1980s is a long time ago now...